8 Things You Didn’t Know About How We Use Apps
Mobile apps are a huge part of how we accomplish tasks on our smartphones and tablets everyday. But have you ever thought about how much we use apps? How many apps we download every month? Or even how our age or mobile operating system correlates with what kinds of apps we use the most? If you’d like to know, you’re in luck: According to comScore’s recent U.S. Mobile Apps Report, here are eight things you didn’t know about how we use the apps on our smartphones and tablets.
1. Apps account for more than 50 percent of the time we spend with digital media.
The total amount of time we spend with digital media — activity on a phone, tablet, or computer — has jumped 24 percent in the past year. That increase was driven by (you guessed it) growth in app usage. Apps now account for 52 percent of the time that we spend with digital media. And total mobile activity, which adds app usage and mobile browsing, accounts for 60 percent of of the time we spend with digital media, so desktop usage (activity on a laptop or desktop computer) accounts for the remaining 40 percent of our digital media time.
Apps also account for a full seven of every eight minutes of media consumption activity on mobile devices. And interestingly enough, app activity reaches a slightly higher percentage of smartphone use than tablet use, with apps comprising 88 percent of smartphone activity vs. 82 percent on tablets.