Healthcare Sector Review: Winning and Losing Stocks on Oct 6th
Gainers (% price change)
- Gentiva Health Services (NASDAQ:GTIV): The shares closed at $3.72, up $0.59, or 18.85%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $113.86 million. About the company: Gentiva Health Services, Inc. provides specialty pharmaceutical and home health care services. The company provides products and services for hemophilia and bleeding disorders, growth hormone deficiency, RSV prevention and nutritional support services. Gentiva also provides services for diabetes, cardiovascular conditions, post-surgical care, orthopedic rehabilitation and other diseases.
- Sunrise Senior Living (NYSE:SRZ): The shares closed at $4.89, up $0.61, or 14.25%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $281.83 million. About the company: Sunrise Senior Living, Inc. provides senior living services. The Company has various senior living communities either open or under construction in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. Sunrise offers a range of senior living services, from independent living, to assisted living, to care for individuals with Alzheimer’s, and nursing and rehabilitative care.
- Oncolytics Biotech, Inc (NASDAQ:ONCY): The shares closed at $3.97, up $0.4, or 11.2%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $282.72 million. About the company: Oncolytics Biotech Inc. discovers and develops pharmaceutical products for the treatment of cancers that have not been successfully treated with conventional therapeutics. The Company is focusing on the development of the reovirus known as REOLYSIN as a potential cancer therapeutic.
- Emergent BioSolutions Inc (NYSE:EBS): The shares closed at $18.85, up $1.87, or 11.01%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $675.78 million. About the company: Emergent Biosolutions, Inc. develops and produces immunobiotics, pharmaceutical products that assist the body’s immune system to prevent or treat disease. The Company produces a vaccine for anthrax.
- Amarin Corp. plc (NASDAQ:AMRN): The shares closed at $9.20, up $0.83, or 9.92%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.23 billion. About the company: Amarin Corporation PLC is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company. The Company researches, develops, and commercializes drugs for the treatment of hypertriglyceridemia, central nervous system disorders, and cardiovascular diseases.
Losers (% price change)
- Sangamo Biosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:SGMO): The shares closed at $3.24, down $0.21, or 6.09%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $169.98 million. About the company: Sangamo BioSciences, Inc. researches and develops transcription factors in the regulation of genes. These transcription factors are the proteins that turn genes on and off and regulate gene expression by recognizing specific DNA sequences.
- Array BioPharma Inc. (NASDAQ:ARRY): The shares closed at $2.03, down $0.1, or 4.69%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $115.75 million. About the company: Array BioPharma Inc., a discovery research company, creates drug candidates. The Company provides drug discovery products and services to create, evaluate, and optimize potential drug candidates in collaboration with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies.
- Rockwell Medical Tech (NASDAQ:RMTI): The shares closed at $8.05, down $0.36, or 4.28%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $145.71 million. About the company: Rockwell Medical Technologies, Inc. manufactures, markets, and delivers dialysis solutions, powders, and ancillary products to hemodialysis providers. The Company offers Dri-State Dry Acid, Liquid Acid, SteriLyte Liquid Bicarbonate, Powder Bicarbonate, and ancillary dialysis items. Rockwell’s products are used to cleanse a patient’s blood and replace nutrients in the bloodstream.
- BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:BCRX): The shares closed at $2.61, down $0.09, or 3.33%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $117.84 million. About the company: BioCryst Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, discovers and designs novel small-molecule pharmaceuticals using structure-based drug design. The Company’s products are used for the treatment of immunological, viral, and cardiovascular diseases and disorders. BioCryst’s lead immunological drug program targets T-cell proliferative disorders.
- Antares Pharma Inc (AMEX:AIS): The shares closed at $2.22, down $0.06, or 2.63%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $229.24 million. About the company: Antares Pharma, Inc. develops pharmaceutical delivery systems, including needle-free and mini-needle injector systems and transdermal gel technologies. The Company distributes its needle-free injector systems in various countries. Antares also conducts research and development with transdermal gel products and has several products in clinical evaluation with partners.
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>