Wall St. Watchdog reveals information about today’s action in the Basic Materials (NYSE:XLB) sector:
Gainers (% price change)
- Kronos Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:KRO): The shares closed at $17.14, up $1.78, or 11.59%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.99 billion. About the company: Kronos Worldwide, Inc. produces titanium dioxide pigments. The Company’s products are used to whiten, brighten, and add opacity to thousands of commonly used products, such as paints, plastics, inks, and cosmetics.
- Northern Dynasty Minerals (AMEX:NAK): The shares closed at $6.45, up $0.64, or 11.02%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $612.58 million. About the company: Northern Dynasty Minerals Ltd. explores for gold, copper, and molybdenum in Alaska.
- Teck Resources Limited (NYSE:TCK): The shares closed at $32.42, up $3.15, or 10.76%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $19.15 billion. About the company: Teck Resources Ltd. is an integrated natural resource group with activities in mining, smelting, and refining. The Company mines zinc, copper, molybdenum, gold, and metallurgical coal in the United States, Canada, Peru, and Chile. Teck also produces refined metals, specialized metal products, and other products.
- Nevsun Resources (AMEX:NSU): The shares closed at $5.17, up $0.49, or 10.47%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $1.02 billion. About the company: Nevsun Resources Ltd. is a mineral exploration and development company. The Company mines for gold in Ghana and Mali, Africa.
- RPM International Inc. (NYSE:RPM): The shares closed at $20.60, up $1.84, or 9.81%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $2.70 billion. About the company: RPM International, Inc. manufactures, markets, and sells various specialty chemical product lines. The Company’s product lines include specialty paints, protective coatings and roofing systems, sealants and adhesives, focusing on the maintenance needs of both the industrial and consumer markets.
Losers (% price change)
- Lawson Products, Inc. (NASDAQ:LAWS): The shares closed at $14.98, down $0.65, or 4.16%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $128.31 million. About the company: Lawson Products, Inc. sells and distributes expendable maintenance, repair, and replacement products to OEM’s. The Company’s products include fasteners, screws, nuts rivets, hoses and related fittings, lubricants, cleansers, adhesives, files, drills, welding products and other shop supplies. Lawson also supplies automotive electrical wiring, exhaust and other automotive parts.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (NYSE:KWR): The shares closed at $26.74, down $0.96, or 3.47%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $342.89 million. About the company: Quaker Chemical Corporation produces, develops, and markets custom-formulated chemical specialty products. The Company also provides fluid management services for manufacturers around the world, primarily in the steel, automotive, and can industries.
- PolyOne Corporation (NYSE:POL): The shares closed at $10.58, down $0.35, or 3.2%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $980.00 million. About the company: PolyOne Corporation is an international polymer services company with operations in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. The Company provides thermoplastic compounds, specialty resins, specialty polymer formulations, engineered films, and color and additive systems. PolyOne also conducts operations in rubber compounding and thermoplastic resin distribution.
- OMNOVA Solutions Inc. (NYSE:OMN): The shares closed at $3.38, down $0.11, or 3.15%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $154.13 million. About the company: Omnova Solutions Inc. develops, manufactures, and markets emulsion polymers, specialty chemicals, and decorative and building products for industrial, commercial, and consumer markets. The Performance Chemicals unit serves the paper, carpet, and textile industries. The Decorative & Building Products unit manufactures products such as wallcovering, coated fabrics, and vinyl woodgrain.
- Braskem SA (NYSE:BAK): The shares closed at $15.97, down $0.44, or 2.68%, on the day. Its market capitalization is $6.38 billion. About the company: Braskem S.A. produces petrochemicals and generates electricity. The Company produces ethylene, propylene, benzene, toluene, xylenes, butadiene, butene, isoprene, dicyclopentediene, MTBE, caprolactam, ammonium sulfate, cyclohexene, polyethylene theraphtalat, polyethylene, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
(Note: Selected financial data are sourced from Google Finance. All data are assumed to be accurate.)
Advantage: Check out our interactive stock charts, fundamentals, Twitter stream, and more >>
Improve Your 2011 Financial Health: Join the winning team of stock pickers with Wall St. Cheat Sheet’s acclaimed premium newsletter>>