5 Chili Recipes to Fight the Chill
Soup wearing a little thin? It is a great way to warm up the day, but after all this Arctic air, something more substantial may be needed — like a robust bowl of chili. Hot and filling, it’s not only the recipes that can get you toasty. Depending on your allegiances, sparks may fly from a fight about the proper way to make chili, as well as over the dish’s origins. That of course, is for you to decide. In the meantime, here are five chili recipes to get you cooking.
1. Chili con carne with beans
The beer in this version of chili con carne is optional. If you decide to add the dark lager with the rest of the ingredients, the alcohol will cook out, but you’ll retain the additional flavor.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) dark beer (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (28 ounce) chili beans
Directions: Sauté meat, onions, and garlic until done. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.