Cooking takes time that many people simply don’t have. During the average day, those who prepare meals spend about 1.1 hours on food preparation and cleanup. Research conducted by the USDA found that working decreases the average amount of time spent in the kitchen. For working women, this time can be cut in half, with nonworking women spending just over 70 minutes per day preparing food. Women who work full-time spend between 38 and 46 minutes.
Between work, school, maybe kids, and taking a few moments to just relax, most people are left without the time or energy to be in the kitchen for several hours, following a difficult recipe. Eating out at a restaurant, picking up takeout, or even driving through a fast food line is sometimes an easier solution. These solutions are expensive, though, and not to mention potentially unhealthy. Frozen foods are also a go-to quick fix, but few if any frozen meals offer the quality that a home-cooked meal does.
Fortunately, there are other options that allow us to enjoy a home-cooked meal for a reasonable price and without the need to spend a significant amount of time on preparation. We scoured the Web for a few easy recipes that taste delicious and come with a price tag of under $10.
1. Cambell’s Orange Picante Chicken
This recipe from Cambell’s Kitchen received rave reviews — 4.7 out of five stars from 24 site users, and no one gave this recipe less than four stars. The main ingredient, boneless chicken breast, costs an average of $3.50 per pound. If you want to make this recipe even cheaper, you can swap bone-in chicken legs, as they have an average cost of only $1.55 per pound. The recipe takes 10 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook, for a total cook time of 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pace picante sauce
- Orange juice
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 cup regular long-grain white rice, prepared according to package directions (about 3 cups)
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned on both sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic to the skillet, and cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir the picante sauce, orange juice, and brown sugar in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve the chicken and sauce with the rice.