Feel the Burn: 3 Fat-Blasting, Calorie-Burning Pilates Routines
Pilates is a great way to burn fat and ensure you’re firm all over. It also helps you strengthen your core, gain lean muscles, and create an evenly conditioned body. The best part about Pilates is that many moves can be done from anywhere – there’s no need for you to even leave the house. Follow any of these great Pilates routines, and you’ll burn major calories while toning up.
1. This Fitness workout combines Pilates and cardio. Anticipate burning around 420 calories per hour doing this routine.
- Standing hundred: Stand with your feet hip-width apart and arms at your sides with your palms facing the wall behind you. Keeping your arms straight and pump them ten times back and forth. Inhale for a count of five, then exhale for five. After three sets of ten, raise your left leg in front of your body and continue pumping your arms for another set of ten. Switch legs and repeat.
- Plie with a side lift: Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart and extend your arms out to your sides. Turn your feet out 45 degrees and bend your knees 90 degrees into a plie. Straighten your right leg while lifting your left leg out to the side. Lower it back to plie position and repeat on the opposite side. Continue alternating eight times on each leg, inhaling as you bend your knees and exhaling as you extend.
- Crisscross reach: Step your right foot about 12 inches to the right and bend your right knee 90 degrees into a side lunge. Reach your left arm diagonally up with your fingertips pointing toward the ceiling and your right arm pointing diagonally down, with your fingertips pointing toward the floor. Place your left hand behind your head, with your elbows bent to the side. Exhale, and lift your right knee across your body toward your left hip and left elbow toward your right knee. Return to the lunge position and repeat to complete eight reps, then switch sides.
- Single-leg front and back kick: Step your left leg forward about 12 inches and bend your knees into a lunge. Bend your elbows 90 degrees, with your hands in front of your face and palms in. Raise your right leg behind you. Then bend your right knee and kick your right heel toward your glutes with your foot flexed. Kick with your toes pointed and repeat four to eight times.
- Crossover sweep: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and arms by your sides. Lift your right leg out to the side six inches off the floor and simultaneously sweep your arms across your body to the left. Step your right foot 12 inches diagonally in front of your left foot. Sweep your arms across your body to the right as you bend both knees 90 degrees into a curtsy lunge (your left heel will come off the floor). Straighten your legs and return to the starting position. Complete eight reps on each leg.