8 Great Garbanzo Bean Recipes for Chickpea Creations
Maybe you have a can of chickpeas staring down at you every time you open the cupboard, neglected because you just don’t know what to do with it. Or maybe you buy your chickpeas in bulk and need a different way of preparing them. To help out both the chickpea novice and enthusiast, we’ve pulled together eight tantalizing recipes to get you cooking and baking with your garbanzo beans.
1. Curried Chickpea Salad
A stellar salad awaits anyone who makes this recipe from Whole Foods. With an infusion of Indian flavors, no bland bits of lettuce or flavorless bites will be found on your dinner table or in your lunch bag. It makes 8 servings.
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- ⅔ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 4 cups pita chips (optional)
Directions: In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, curry powder, maple syrup, and salt. Add raisins, cumin, chickpeas, bell pepper, onion, and cilantro, and toss to combine. Spoon chickpea salad over salad greens and serve with pita chips on the side, if you’d like.