4 Unique Ways to Repurpose a Drab Dresser
Finding a new purpose for an old dresser is a great way to recycle furniture, save money, and create a unique piece that matches your taste. With these dresser transformation projects, your old furniture can be turned into whatever you want, whether you’re hoping for the bar of your dreams or the perfect media center. All it takes is a few supplies, a little elbow grease, and a touch of patience.
1. Turn it into a media console
You not only get to fix up that pesky old dresser, but this idea also lets you create a media console that fits perfectly with your room’s decorations and designs. You just need a little creativity, some basic power tools, and the paint color of your choice to create your perfect media console.
- Tape measure
- Jigsaw or table saw
- 2-by-2-inch blocks of wood (two per drawer)
- HVLP paint sprayer
- High-gloss lacquer
- 1.5-inch paddle drill bit
- Electric sander
- Sanding pads
- Drawer hinges
- Painter’s tape
- Remove the drawers that need to be customized.
- Assign a number to each drawer body and drawer front by marking the number on painter’s tape, then sticking it to the drawer and drawer front.
- Place the hinges inside your drawer, then mark the screw holes with a pencil.
- Pre-drill pilot holes into the drawer base and drawer front. This preparation will make it faster to attach the hinges with screws later.
- Use a jigsaw or table saw to remove the drawer front from the drawer base. If you can, use a table saw; it will create more precise cuts.
- Reinforce thick drawer bases with a small block of wood. You need two blocks of wood for every drawer.
- Add screws through the holes in the hinges down through the block of wood.
- Using a paddle bit, drill holes in the backs of drawers and the back of the dresser to account for cords.
- Use an electric sander to remove existing finish of dresser.
- Use your HVLP paint sprayer to add a new finish.