Analyst: 2014 Box Office Starts Year on Solid Footing
The following is an excerpt from a report compiled by Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities.
Movie Rental Industry
Key Redbox releases this year (with domestic box office total from BoxOfficeMojo.com):
- March 18: Frozen ($398 million), American Hustle ($150 million), Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom ($8 million)
- March 25: Gravity ($273 million), The Wolf of Wall Street ($117 million), Saving Mr. Banks ($83 million), Delivery Man ($31 million)
- April 1: Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues ($127 million), 12 Years a Slave ($56 million)
Key Redbox releases last year (with domestic box office total from BoxOfficeMojo.com):
- March 19: Argo ($136 million), Zero Dark Thirty ($96 million), Anna Karenina ($13 million)
- March 26: Lincoln ($182 million), Killing Them Softly ($15 million), The Collection ($7 million), Chasing Mavericks ($6 million)
- April 2: Red Dawn ($45 million)
Over the next two weeks, there are two rental releases that grossed more than $50 million in domestic box office, compared to three last year. DVD rentals for the upcoming two-week period should underperform the same period last year.